What’s in a name?
We have chosen a name which represents our purpose and the feeling behind the work we do in Ecuador. It is based on an ancient Incan proverb “the eagle and the condor” which has been interpreted to mean exactly what is in our hearts and minds.
The eagle flies to the north in pursuit of matters of the mind; science, technology, medicine, innovation.
The condor flies to the south in pursuit of matters of the heart; spiritualty, love, nature, intuition.
Only when the two fly together can the fullness of our existence be reached. According to the prophecy now is the time for the two birds to fly together.
“if the Eagle and the Condor fly together in the same skies as equals, as they dance, play, laugh, and mate together, there is the possibility to restore balance to the planet.” From the interpretation of the prophecy by Balance Edutainment
eagleYcondor unites veterinary professionals and teachers to bring healthcare and educational resources to the animals and children of Ecuador. Our culturally sensitive projects are designed to inspire and empower future generations to continue this transformative work.
- To encourage and enable communities in Ecuador to improve the standards of health and education for their animals and children.
- Bring volunteers and supplies for ongoing projects
- Develop and support existing educational & veterinary systems to promote change
- Provide continuing education opportunities for Ecuadorian veterinarians and teachers in the US
- To provide resources, skills and knowledge to animals in need, animal welfare foundations and community groups in Ecuador through volunteer projects and ongoing support.
- Work to decrease the number of preventable diseases and reduce the population of unwanted dogs by visiting the same area yearly.
- Educate children by modeling respect and care for animals
- Inspire children to become veterinarians or technicians by engaging them in projects
- Teach veterinarians to provide better anesthesia and pain management
- To provide ongoing creative arts education for the children of indigenous communities in Otavalo
- Bring bilingual creative arts teachers to offer vehicles for artistic expression to school children
- Educate local teachers about the value of arts integration into the curriculum for the development of the whole child
- Encourage children to pursue artistic outlets as they develop and mature
- To create and sustain avenues for volunteer veterinarians, technicians, teachers and other caring professionals to do this important transformative work.
Otavalo and Casa Mojanda Inn
Otavalo is a town in the Andean highlands in the Imbabura province of northern Ecuador known for its indigenous craft markets. Just south of Otavalo is the ancient large inactive volcano, Mojanda. Our work is centered in the Mojanda region; a beautiful area, rich with breathtaking landscapes, birds, plants and farm animals. It is inhabited by indigenous people of Quechuan descent and Ecuadorians of mixed European descent. The predominant language is Spanish. The people of Mojanda are extremely poor farmers, construction workers or craftsmen who work tirelessly to provide for their very large families.
Casa Mojanda Inn www.casamojanda.com is a stunning Andean organic eco-farm and Inn in Otavalo, Ecuador. Casa Mojanda operates on a firm commitment to the principles and practices of eco-tourism and it was designed to have a minimally intrusive impact on local ecosystem and culture. Casa Mojanda is the location for all of our volunteer housing, meals and transportation throughout projects in the area. The owners and managers of Casa Mojanda work tirelessly to accommodate our volunteers at a reasonable cost to our organization and we are grateful to be able to provide such an authentic experience for our volunteers.
We Need Your Help
eagleYcondor is supported entirely by generous donations and volunteers - join our list of supporters!